Monday, February 11, 2013

Swallowtail - Big Butterfly

This is one of the biggest stamps I have ever seen!  And
I think it's also one of the prettiest.  I just love its versatility.
 
 
I have made this card using vellum and StazOn black ink.
I cut the vellum to be 7" X 4" and scored at 1 1/2" on each end,
then stamped the sentiment and the big guy on the vellum.

 
Once you have the vellum stamped the way you want it, fold
on the score lines and adhere one end with sticky strip to a 4" X 5"
piece of white cardstock.

 
Now make a mask by stamping the butterfly on half of a
sheet of printer/copy paper and cutting out.

 
 
Position your mask on the white piece of cardstock, closing
the vellum over to make sure it lines up perfectly. 
 
 
Once you have it in place, use sticky notes to hold it. Now take
a sponge and Calypso Coral ink and sponge the outer edges of
the inside of your mask. Then take a sponge and Pool Party ink
and sponge the inner part of your masked off cardstock.
 
 
When you remove your mask, the cardstock will look like this:
 
 
Now adhere the top part of the vellum with sticky strip to the back
of the cardstock just like you did before.
 
 
Now you can see your sponge work show through the vellum!
 
 
All you have to do now is adhere the finished butterfly to a regular
size card (4 1/4" X 5 1/2") in Pool Party cardstock.
 
 
The matching envelope was made using the same mask technique.
The stamp set is Papillon Potpourri, stamped the biggest butterfly
in StazOn black ink.  Using the Elegant Butterfly punch, make
a mask with a sticky note and sponge with the Calypso
Coral and Pool Party inks.
 
I'm sure I'll be posting more samples using this Swallowtail. 
Let me know your ideas for uses for it too!
 
 
 








 


4 comments:

  1. gorgeous! And I Love how you attached the vellum. I spent some time looking at the image before I read your description, trying to figure out how you did it without any adhesive 'evidence'. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very beautiful, and your instructions help me think it is easier than I thought to create. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kitty, for your wonderful comment! This masking is very easy to do and so much fun ... I hope you give it a try!

      Delete